WordPress Theme Development: Updated on 9th November 2023: Want to create a custom WordPress theme to showcase your design skills and sell it on Envato? In this blog, we will provide a step-by-step tutorial to design & develop a custom WordPress theme and how to sell on Evanto:
Contents of WordPress Theme Development:
Jump to a section of the content:
- 1 Contents of WordPress Theme Development:
- 1.1 Step 1: Find your niche for your WordPress theme
- 1.2 Step 2: Design your WordPress theme
- 1.3 Step 3: Develop your WordPress theme
- 1.4 Step 4: Make it perfect
- 1.5 Step 5: Apply the SEO rules
- 1.6 Step 6: Upload your WordPress theme on the Evanto marketplace
- 1.7 Step 7: Start selling your WordPress theme on the Evanto marketplace
- 1.8 To help you in your custom WordPress theme development journey, here are some helpful tutorial links & videos:
- 1.9 FAQ about WordPress Theme Development:
- 1.9.1 Q1: What is WordPress theme development?
- 1.9.2 Q2: Why should I consider developing a custom WordPress theme?
- 1.9.3 Q3: What do I need to get started with WordPress theme development?
- 1.9.4 Q4: How do I create a WordPress theme from scratch?
- 1.9.5 Q5: What are the essential files in a WordPress theme?
- 1.9.6 Q6: Can I modify an existing WordPress theme to fit my needs?
- 1.9.7 Q7: Are there any coding standards for WordPress theme development?
- 1.9.8 Q8: How can I make my theme responsive for mobile devices?
- 1.9.9 Q9: What is the WordPress Customizer, and how can I use it in theme development?
- 1.9.10 Q10: How do I test my theme to ensure it works correctly?
- 1.9.11 Q11: Can I sell the themes I develop?
- 1.9.12 Q12: What is the best way to provide theme support and updates to users?
- 1.9.13 Q13: Are there tools or frameworks to simplify theme development?
- 1.9.14 Q14: How can I optimize my theme for performance and speed?
- 1.9.15 Q15: What resources can I use to learn more about theme development?
- 2 Install Rits Browser & Earn Reward Points
Step 1: Find your niche for your WordPress theme
Identify Your Target Audience Before you start designing your theme. This will help you create a design that will appeal to them and meet their specific needs. You can research your target audience by looking at other successful themes in your niche and analyzing their design elements.
Step 2: Design your WordPress theme
Plan Your Design Sketch out your design ideas and create a wireframe to map out the layout of your theme. Consider the color scheme, typography, and other design elements that will make your theme stand out. You can use tools like Adobe XD or Figma to create your wireframes and designs.
Step 3: Develop your WordPress theme
Develop Your Theme Once you have a solid plan in place, it’s time to start developing your theme. Use a code editor like Visual Studio Code or Sublime Text to create the necessary HTML, CSS, and PHP files. If you’re not comfortable with coding, you can use a WordPress theme builder like Elementor or Beaver Builder.
Step 4: Make it perfect
Test Your Theme Once your theme is developed, test it thoroughly to make sure it works properly. Test it on different devices and browsers. Make sure all the features work as expected and there are no bugs or errors. You can use tools like BrowserStack or CrossBrowserTesting to test your theme on different devices and browsers.
Step 5: Apply the SEO rules
Optimize Your Theme Optimize your theme for performance and search engine optimization (SEO). Make sure your theme is fast-loading and meets the latest SEO standards. You can use tools like GTmetrix or Google PageSpeed Insights to check your theme’s performance and identify areas for optimization.
Step 6: Upload your WordPress theme on the Evanto marketplace
Upload Your Theme to Envato Once your theme is complete and optimized, upload it to Envato’s Themeforest marketplace. Be sure to follow the submission guidelines and provide detailed documentation and support for your theme. You can use tools like Envato’s Theme Check plugin to check your theme for compliance with Envato’s submission guidelines.
Step 7: Start selling your WordPress theme on the Evanto marketplace
Market Your Theme After your theme is approved on Envato, market it to potential buyers through social media, email marketing, and other channels. Engage with your customers and provide timely support to ensure a positive experience. You can also use Envato’s promotional tools like featured items and discounts to attract more buyers.
- “WordPress Theme Development for Beginners” by ThemeIsle: https://themeisle.com/blog/wordpress-theme-development/
- “How to Create a WordPress Theme from Scratch” by WPCrafter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcDUL1Iax1o
- “WordPress Theme Development Tutorial Step by Step” by Ferdy Korpershoek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg5f2uRaQH4
- “Building a WordPress Theme with Bootstrap” by Udemy: https://www.udemy.com/course/bootstrap-to-wordpress/
- “WordPress Theme Development with Underscores” by WordPress.tv: https://wordpress.tv/2017/06/02/wordcamp-miami-2017-wordpress-theme-development-with-underscores/
In conclusion, designing and developing a custom WordPress theme can be a rewarding experience. By following these steps and tutorials, you learn How to sell on Evanto. Moreover, the availability of numerous resources, including video tutorials and online courses, makes it easier than ever to learn the necessary skills and stay up to date with the latest trends. With hard work and dedication, you can become a skilled theme developer. Best of luck!
You can also read this book for a complete guideline for your theme development work.
Read more related articles about how to earn money online.
FAQ about WordPress Theme Development:
Q1: What is WordPress theme development?
A1: WordPress theme development is the process of creating custom designs and templates for a WordPress website. It involves designing the layout, appearance, and functionality of a website’s user interface.
Q2: Why should I consider developing a custom WordPress theme?
A2: Developing a custom theme allows you to have a unique and tailored design for your website. You can create a brand-specific look, optimize performance, and ensure compatibility with your site’s specific needs.
Q3: What do I need to get started with WordPress theme development?
Q4: How do I create a WordPress theme from scratch?
A4: You can create a theme from scratch by setting up a theme directory in your WordPress installation, creating essential theme files (style.css, index.php, functions.php), and developing custom templates for different parts of your site.
Q5: What are the essential files in a WordPress theme?
A5: The core files in a theme include style.css (for theme information), index.php (the main template), functions.php (for theme functions), and template files like header.php, footer.php, and single.php for specific content types.
Q6: Can I modify an existing WordPress theme to fit my needs?
A6: Yes, you can modify an existing theme by creating a child theme. This preserves the original theme while allowing you to customize it to meet your requirements.
Q7: Are there any coding standards for WordPress theme development?
A7: Yes, WordPress has coding standards that developers are encouraged to follow. These standards help ensure consistency and compatibility with WordPress core.
Q8: How can I make my theme responsive for mobile devices?
A8: To make your theme responsive, use CSS media queries to adapt the design to different screen sizes. Ensure that your site’s layout and elements adjust gracefully on mobile devices.
Q9: What is the WordPress Customizer, and how can I use it in theme development?
A9: The WordPress Customizer is a user-friendly interface for making theme customizations. You can add theme settings and options to the Customizer to allow users to change aspects of the theme without coding.
Q10: How do I test my theme to ensure it works correctly?
A10: You should test your theme thoroughly. Install it on a test site or use a staging environment. Ensure that it works with the latest version of WordPress, check for browser compatibility, and test all theme features.
Q11: Can I sell the themes I develop?
A11: Yes, you can sell your custom WordPress themes. Many developers create themes for commercial use, either on marketplaces like ThemeForest or on their websites.
Q12: What is the best way to provide theme support and updates to users?
A12: You can provide support and updates through your website, email, or a support forum. Utilize version control to manage updates efficiently and ensure backward compatibility.
Q13: Are there tools or frameworks to simplify theme development?
A13: Yes, there are tools and frameworks like Underscores, Bootstrap, and Foundation that provide a foundation for theme development, saving time and effort.
Q14: How can I optimize my theme for performance and speed?
A14: To optimize performance, minimize HTTP requests, use efficient coding practices, leverage browser caching, and consider a content delivery network (CDN) for serving static assets.
Q15: What resources can I use to learn more about theme development?
A15: You can find tutorials, courses, documentation, and forums on the official WordPress website and other web development platforms. Online communities and blogs are also great resources for learning and staying updated.